Wednesday, May 20, 2009

literacy circles

In my new entrant class we have started learning some of the roles- character describer, word detective and the illustrator. I am already amazed at the depth of the childrens thinking and language -who said you have to be able to read to do this. We have used a big book 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf" An Aesops Fable.
I have decided to use a scrap book to record our work - its an easy way to look at what we have done and also to be able to work on things again.
Highlights of what we have done so far include -the children relistening to the story and telling me the interesting words. We had words like prowling and to help them to understand what the wolf was doing we role played the wolf moving to get the sheep. Next the kids had to say what they were doing -out came words like sneaking, being down low and being quiet. For 'every morning he collected the sheep' we collected 3 items from around the room and then had to explain what we had done. K. said 'I gathered these lanterns."
I am loving the kid's joy of words . Next I want to see where they go with the connector role. Will they be able to make the link to their lives???

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of keeping the work in the book - I bet your kids revisit it lots and come back to it again and again to just read for enjoyment. I am learning that it is all about having our thinking to come back to and add to and change and remember...... whether it is a wiki, a blog or a scrapbook, it is all showing what we are doing. And you know, a book is easier for the kids to access at any time. Might keep one alongside our other stuff with maybe a reflection on what role the kids took for that book and the remembered or connected moment. Great having someone to share ideas with.

    ReplyDelete