Had a great day in Wanganui hearing from the staff of Island Bay School (Wellington) about inquiry learning. We will need to be ready for cluster share at next Rellco time. My head is whirling around about what to do but in saying that ,at last I think I can see how it all fits together.
It has to start right back at the mission statement and as our school is relooking at that stuff its great to be part of that. TheIB staff were honest, especially the 2 year one teachers and I like their sharing of what they first thought inquiry was and how things changed the more they worked with it. I also thought it had to be very pupil lead, done all (or most) of the day etc. Maybe that's what I might do part of my sharing on -a bit like the inquiry assessment - first idea ---- work on inquiry---- second idea about inquiry.
Planning is a HUGE thing and I have been hopeless at it and I now realise its one of the most important parts. I hope our team plans together soon for term 4 inquiry.
I think I am lucky having NE as inquiry seems to be quite natural for them - "they have been inquiry learners since birth"-- but what do we do to them at school that we have to reteach them to be inquiry learners. I think its time for me to look at the other part of my goal - early childhood and learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment